Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:08:36 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] (no subject)

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marr965 wrote:
>
> > I submit a Consultation:
> > [[Does Abstaining from voting on all Proposals in a Ballot, but
> announcing that you do so, count as voting for the purposes of the Rules?]]
>
> This is Consultation 222.  I assign it to Priest Billy Pilgrim.

I Answer Consultation 222 NO.

Reasoning:
{
The relevant passage of Rule 2-2 (Proposals) is: "A Registered Voter may
submit a Vote on an Open proposal at any time. The Vote must be one of the
words FOR, AGAINST, or ABSTAIN; other words are ignored."

I take "submitting a vote", sensu Rule 2-2, to be equivalent to "voting",
sensu Rule 2-7 (Players May Vote) which grants all Players the status of
Registered Voter and Rule 3-5 (Active Players) which makes the Active
Property contingent on voting.

Note that submitting a Vote (or any number of Votes) which consists of the
word ABSTAIN, and abstaining from voting (i.e. from submitting a Vote), are
two completely different actions. In fact, one is an action and the other an
omission.

Even if one announces one's abstention in such a manner that it contains the
word ABSTAIN, this remains irrelevant to Rule 2-2 because no vote is being
submitted. Treating such an announcement as a submission of a Vote (ABSTAIN)
would clearly run counter to the intention of the Vote's submitter.

Finally, note the multitude of potential trivial cases where an announcement
of abstention does not contain the word ABSTAIN (e.g. "I am abstaining from
voting on P. 222735".). In such a case, all words would be ignored even if
the announcement were treated as a Vote submission.
}

P. BP