Geoffrey Spear on Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:37:35 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Reassignment of Consultation 203

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:14 AM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I assign Consultation 203 to Priest Wooble.

I answer YES.

Rule 5E10 says "To perform a Game Action, an Outsider must post a
message to a Public Forum specifying that they are taking that
action."  I hold that this "must" establishes a necessary but not
sufficient condition to perform game actions, and doesn't provide
blanket possibility for doing something simply because doing that
thing would be a Game Action were it possible.

5E57 does indeed allow a contract to be modified by any mechanism
specified by the contract, but it does *not* allow any particular
person to modify arbitrary contracts.  Were it worded using the active
voice as something like "any Player may/can modify a contract by
performing actions specified in that contract", it might be
legitimately argued that 5E57 creates the ability to perform any
action specified in a contract.  Using the passive voice, it does not
have this effect, and the contract can only grant the power to modify
it, not the power to perform the actions it says are necessary to
modify it.
--
Wooble