Craig Daniel on Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:25:33 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [s-d] Must a contract be meaningful to be valid?

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is no claim this document forms a corporation, so there are fewer
> challenges than last time.
>
> But, teucer, you are bound by this contract until such time as you prove
> it contains a provision to allow you to cease to be bound by it. Nor may
> you edit the contract. It is not a corporation, so you are not able to
> act on behalf of it.
>
> My guess is this is some pre-20th century cipher that when unwound with
> the appropriate key (or maybe just an algorithm) says "teucer may leave
> this contract".

I hereby submit the following consultation:

{
Question: Are parties bound by the plaintext of contracts whose stated
text is in some sort of encrypted form?

Reasoning: Unlike the Contract of Epimenides (which was defined from
the get-go as having, as its text the contents of the zip file rather
than the zip file itself), the contract lhret rhlhr was defined as
having a certain string of characters as text rather than some
unprovided plaintext of which that string was a representation. In
other words, it could easily be argued that the only part of that
contract binding on teucer is in fact the apparent gibberish presented
to the list even if there is, in fact, an algorithm by which it can be
decrypted to produce a meaningful contract text.
}

At the moment when the next nweek begins, I submit the following transaction:
{
Assertion: the consultation found in this e-mail has been judged TRUE.

I take the following game action:

rcdho sijag dirhn gfvec itwgi hgena gpgsu ehoiw ujyxw yxmxi hgryh
chnyg wsjtj zggns jiece xpohg mpvlu trpfg dbkku zihwI kqsia muihs
emuuu ggvkw xepef qdrzy ciusl isbuh bgfri frmij yIhmh mtmqi jerfv
lwkhx srywu wrklm chv
{
lygvi kxvwv ieeex tavgn kwsfh dkosa eusti dtjgl xwhjx xifie xtqfg
nxuxg upmji iiksg brkmk oqstv zziqs tschi tnuli esowj ebgs
}
ebseh mwoim qvxgv giusr cemlg nsviz xoqrr zhtgk xgwoe dupmx sonvg rof
}

 - teucer