William P. Berard on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:28:20 +0100 (CET)

[s-b] Will's Meta Refresh Proposal Proposal

Let's sum up the situation: (please feel free to comment or correct me
after any of those points)

The present emergency occured because of a quantuum dissolution of the
gamestate, which happened because of the creation of doomsday devices,
due to a loophole in device creation regulation.

On top of this, coincidence or deep political plot (It's only called
paranoia if you can't prove it), the situation emerged in the middle of
a debate on playership and factionship of certain entities, with deep
implications that I cannot grasp having joined the game last week only.

It seems to me that it is widely agreed amongst Players (either through
the discussion forum, what has been said on IRC tonight, or from the
various refresh proposals) that the bare minimum to get out of the
emergency is to fix the device loophole, and, while we are at it, to
sort out, the playerhood problem, either in a temporary (remove
playership/factionship) or permanent (remove playership/factionship,
and change rules regarding their attribution) .

One could argue that the playership/factionship issue was not the
primary trigger of this emergency, and could be solved in a normal
fashion through legislation. But I can understand that we want to kill
several birds with the same stone.

I have seen, in the refresh proposals, various player attempting
different tactics at tackling those problems, while trying to preserve
the integrity of the game. Some (0x44's original proposal, AaronC) went
for the bare minimum, another tried closing the device loophole by
instauring a variant of the monopoly rule (Codae), which if it were to
pass would certainly change the game, and BobTHJ went as far as
proposing deep changes in the gameplay in order, not only to close
those loopholes, but also to insure a minimal risk of such a situation
arising again in the future.

I think the downside of refresh proposal is that they come in a All or
nothing package. Which, in my opinion, is a real shame, because I see
lots of very good Ideas there, and I think ithey deserve to be
discussed and voted properly, individually, with points awarded to
their creators.

So here is my idea, it might be a bit lateral, thinking-wise, but here
it goes.

we are in, according to Rule 0 in an emergency situation, which means
it will be at least 9 nDays before we go back to normal. we are in for
a loong, loong one, and I suspect I am not the only player who would
like to see things moving.

As such, I propose a meta proposal : conceptually, the idea is to pass
the barest minimum refresh proposal to get us back into a _safe_
gamestate. then, give us time to re-submit all those good ideas from
the various refresh proposals, and voting on them, getting us back into
a _stable_ gamestate (that is, with the underlying problems that lead
to the current situation fixed.)

Before you read, let me point out to people who have submitted a
refresh proposal, or intend to do so, that my goal is not to "win" the
refresh proposal over yours. my goal is to give you a framework so you
could submit the ideas contained in your refresh proposal as individual
proposals, so we can get the best of all of them, and you can get
points for them. I think it's a win-win situation for everyone
involved.

I am thinking along the lines of brutal, but efficient

{{
Create a new Rule, called "Emergency UberRule A" stating that

{
As soon as the pause End, and until the proposal repealing this rule is
passed :

-The only permitted Game Action is to submit a Proposal, or Revise it.

-No entity may become a player or a faction [[This is already enforced
by the first rule, but let's make it clear]

-In the unlikely event that a completely new External Force would
express the whish to join the game as a Player, we will explain the
situation to him and ask him politely to wait.

-The AFO ceases to be a player (if it is one).

-The AFO ceases to be a Faction (if it is one).

-Agora ceases to be a player or a faction (if it is one).

-Dice Master ceases to be a player (if it is one).

-All Devices and Blueprints are destroyed, Except the one named "The
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch"
[[Those devices could not have been used anyways, because ofthe first
rule. Obviously the remaining existng device cannot be used]

-All Players having submitted a Refresh Proposal are invited to submit
their constitutive sub-proposals, as individual, regular proposals,
with easy-to-refer-to titles [[I suggest, if you are a player named
JohnDoe, naming your proposals JohnDoe-1, John-Doe-2, or for better
reference, JohnDoe-Devices-1 if the proposal is about Devices]]

-Those proposals need to state clearly conflicts and dependancies.

-The Players who have not submitted a Refresh Proposal during the
Emergency are encouraged to submit any proposal they see fit, bearing
in mind that the goal is to reach a stable gamestate. [[a bit of fair
play, but do not shy off big structural changes]]

-All Proposal that were pending at the time the Emergency started are
made Pending, but Players are invited to retract proposals that are not
relevant anymore, or that target issues being addressed by the new
proposals.

-The clock is set to nday4 [[This should leave us enough time to come
up with proposalsand revise them before nday9]]

-The vote will proceed normally, with the exception that, when the
points are counted, Players whose proposal has failed because an
alternative proposal has been adopted will not lose points. [[The idea
here is to not punish people for coming up with ideas, however, for
brand new proposals with no competiting proposal, failure will be
sanctioned as usuall]]

-A player called "The Nomic" is created.
-"The Nomic" submits the following proposal :
  {repeal Emergency UberRule A}
-the Player called "The Nomic" ceases to exist

}

This is just a first draft, really, any input is welcome for subsequent
revisions, I'm not quite sure in particular of the idea of
not-punishing players. I do not want players to lose points just
because their good idea was not favoured, I'd like a non-judgemental
brainsotrming, but on the other hand, I am not quite sure I can rely on
Fair Play and hope people do not abuse this rule to proposal-spam.

There is also the delicate issue of ministries, the only one we need
filled is the Ministry of Change, and we need someone who has time to
update the wiki, and can do it efficiently, and fast. I am thinking of
having an informal discussion/vote in the discussion list, and then, if
anyone is willing to assume this position for 9 ndays, assign it to him
in the UberRule...

Ideally, now, that is very ideally, this is meant to be an soft
emergency state. I would like to consult the Emergency coordinator and
my fellow players to know whether it would be sensible to argue that,
since the UberRule effects a very similar state of emergency (regarding
game action) as the one we currently operate under, it could be
considered to do an emergency vote on this meta-proposal, so, if it
were to be accepted, we could start moving into the "soft emergency"
enforced by the UberRule, and start fixing the ruleset, as soon as
possible.

Will