Geoffrey Spear on Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:52:48 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] consultation 30 (assigned to Peter)

I submit the following as a Consultation:

{{
True or False: a piece of paper can consent to X if a human being has
written on the piece of paper "I consent to X".
}}

Argument: The Thompson-Gale Law Encylcopedia says "Consent is an act
of reason and deliberation. A person who possesses and exercises
sufficient mental capacity to make an intelligent decision
demonstrates consent by performing an act recommended by another.
Consent assumes a physical power to act and a reflective, determined,
and unencumbered exertion of these powers."  A sheet of paper is
capable of neither reason nor deliberation, and as such can consent to
nothing.

This is Consultation 30.  I assign it to Peter.

Oracle Wooble