Mark Walsh on Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:12:09 -0600 (CST)

RE: [s-b] Re: HH Actions

On: 12/22/05 4:31:57 PM Peter sent:
> Subject: [s-b] Re: HH Actions

> And now, let's make things interesting... I wrote the transaction rule
> while trying to keep people from doing stuff like what I'm about to
> try. Let's see if I succeeded.
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION
> I spend one AP to train.
> My Nimbleness was incremented by one.
> END TRANSACTION

Call SHENANIGANS if you will.
Here's my slant on this:
Rule 1-7 states:
'As a Game Action, an Outsider can submit a Transaction'.
Therefore, submitting a Transaction is a Game Action.
Rule 1-3 states:
'Game Actions occur upon reaching the appropriate Fora.....".
Therefore, the Transaction occurs when posted.
Rule 1-7 states:
'A Transaction consists of:
A list of Game Actions and assertions about the state of the game.
'
So, all Game Actions and assertions in the list occur
when posted. Even though the list of statements in a
Transaction are considered sequentially for evaluation,
they all occur at the same time.

The assertion "my Nimbleness was incremented by one."
cannot be evaluated with finality and certainty because,
as of the occurance of the assertion, no dice had been rolled.
It is, in fact, impossible for the dice roll called for in the Action
of Training to occur at a time earlier than the assertion is made
(except perhaps in some Einsteinian existence).
[[ Let there be light speed! ]]
Without the dice, the veracity of the assertion can be neither
certain nor final, and so the Transaction Fails.

[[ I will admit that the ruse was highly creative, and kudos for that! ]]

Triller