automailer on Wed, 11 May 2005 10:37:41 -0500 (CDT)

[s-b] [auto] BvS amends p65

BvS has amended p65.

---------------------------------
Proposal 65/2: **The Baron's Story, Chapter One** Lengthiness Is Because It Does Oodles [[LIBIDO]]
A Standard Proposal by BvS
Last modified on nweek 88, nday 3

[[65/2: named the first Em-Ay, set an upper limit on the number of sections a Fort can have, added another Ministry to track Grid Locations]]

Text between double astericies [[**blah blah**]] in this proposal and the title of this proposal is comment text. Double-asterix comment text differs from double-bracket comment text in that it is used for the purposes of seperating a story out from the game actions in the proposal it is part of, and is therefore recognized by the game but does not alter the gamestate except in that it makes this proposal a Story Proposal.

[[Note, if you don't ignore this completely, that this means the story is inside a form of "comment text," as Rule 3-9.]]

**
Two nweeks ago:

With a throbbing hum and the roar of the landing fans, the luxury speeder touched down gently. As the engines whined slowly towards a full stop, a ramp on the underside of the vehicle eased open. A dark figure in a cape marched down the ramp with a buisnesslike stride that bespoke dignified urgency. Several feet from the base of the ramp, the figure stopped, and put its arms behind its back. As its shoulders flexed, a quiet crunching noise and a relieved sigh floated gently into the night. A second figure now exited the speeder and joined the first.
"You seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, sir."
"It's been a while since I saw this place. That and I couldn't breathe the canned air in there a second longer. I swear, I was going to suffocate. What've you got there?"
"Intel sent this report just now on the state of things in the city these days."
"With their usual haste, I see. We're /in/ the city."
"Intel isn't what it used to be, sir."
"Nothing is, Campion. Nothing is." The caped figure looked around. "Why is it so dark out here?"
"The floodlights haven't had maintenance done in almost a year, sir, and it's probably a good bet that the generator has been picked over for parts by now."
"Figures."
"Would you like to read over this report, sir?"
"I'll look it over later. For now, just give me a quick rundown."
"Yes, sir. It seems that there was something of a catastrophe a little while back. Most of the city entered a state of existence flux and ended up choosing nonexistence, and the rebuilding just started from the remants in the city core and the outskirts, like here."
"Well, I suppose it'll be easier to get around now. How about my holdings, anything left?"
"It looks like there is almost no trace of vSOI or vSET in the city any more. Everything is changed pretty significantly."
"Figures. You spend a few nyears out in the Empire territories and nothing is left alone. Well, I'm back now for good. Order the transport of our resources at Exile Base returned to the city."
"Yes, sir. Anything else for now?"
"No. Wait, yes. Make sure everyone remembers that things are a little different here - some of the honorifics we used at Exile need to be dropped. Don't want the other Players thinking I'm putting on airs."
"Which ones, sir?"
"Let's just go with all of them. Some of those were a little silly."
"Yes, sir."
"Let's get some rest. Tomorrow's a big day, after all. We have to let everyone know that the Baron is back!"
"...I thought you weren't using honorifics, sir?"
"Dammit, Campion, I was being dramatic..."
"Shutting up, Baron."

Present nday:

The new headquarters was small, but it would do for the moment. It had a few perks, such as a nice view, a large open field for landing speeders in, and a secret underground complex. It was a vSOI listening post outside of the city, equipped with its own bunker. It was also being renovated to include a handful of other surprises and features as equipment was shipped in from the Empire territories.

The Baron watched out the window as a light scout speeder landed on the field amidst a few other small vehicles. The pilot climbed out and handed a small object to an officer standing by the landing pad, who turned and entered the base at a brisk walk. A minute later, the same officer entered the topside command center and, seeing the Baron waiting for him, walked over and handed the memory stick over. The Baron nodded a dismissal and turned to the console beside him to see what the pilot's report was.
**

Create a new section of the Ruleset named "The Grid" with the following rule in it:
{{
== The Grid ==
There exists the Grid. The Grid is a square composed of Units. The Grid is 25 units wide by 25 units tall. The units are unumbered from 1 to 25 horizontally (the x axis) and 1 to 25 vertically (the y axis). Each Unit can be expressed as an (x,y) coordinate location. The unit (1,1) shall be below the unit (1,2) and to the left of unit (2,1). [[So unit (1,1) is in the lower left of the Grid.]]

Any object which is allowed to occupy a location on the Grid is a Grid Object. Multiple Grid Objects may occupy the same Grid location except where explicitly forbidden by the rules. All objects on the Grid occupy exactly one location each except where a rule says otherwise. Players may not occupy any location on the Grid, but may control the actions of Grid Objects when a rule permits it.
}}

**
The Baron stood, absorbing this information. Then he began typing and clicking away at his console furiously. A few minutes later, he removed the memory stick from its slot and gave it to the officer on duty. "Take this down to R+D and tell them that I want a rough on my desk by tomorrow morning." As the officer left, the Baron looked back at the screen, re-reading what he had written:
**

Add a new rule to the "The Grid" section of the ruleset:
{{
== Forts ==
=== Energy Allocation ===
There exist Grid Objects called Forts, each of which is owned by a player. No player may own more than one Fort. Forts may not occupy the same Grid Location as other Forts. Each Fort consists of a number of sections, initially 100. The number of sections a Fort has cannot exceed 200. Before the end of each nweek, each Player who owns a Fort on the Grid may divide up to X energy, where X is the number of sections their Fort has, between their Offense, Defense, or Special. Those allocations must be further specified as follows:

==== Offense ====
Forts have an attribute called Range. Each Fort's Range starts at 5. An otherwise legal target is in Range of a Fort if the square of its distance from that Fort in the horizontal direction plus the square of its distance from that Fort in the vertical direction is equal to or less than the square of that Fort's range. Otherwise legal targets must be in range of a Fort in order to be legal targets.

Offense energy must have a legal target specified. Forts may target multiple legal targets with Offense energy each nweek. Offense energy will be divided equally among all legal targets specified, with any remainder randomly allocated among those targets, unless otherwise specified by the player when they allocate energy.

Legal targets include:
 * Other Forts

==== Defense ====
Defense energy is assumed to be allocated to the Fort it originates in.

==== Special ====
Special energy must be allocated as stated in the rules defining each Add-On to be activated.

=== Nweekly Resolution ===
Allocations of energy should be sent privately to the Minister of Forts before the end of each nweek. Allocations sent publicly will not be recognized. At the beginning of each nweek, each Fort loses Y sections, where Y is the total Offense energy allocated to that fort by other forts in the previous nweek minus the total Defense energy allocated to that Fort in the previous nweek. If Y is less than or equal to zero, the number of sections the Fort has remains constant.

=== Add-Ons ===
There exist Grid Objects called Add-Ons. Unless otherwise specified, each Add-On occupies the same location as the Fort it is attached to. An Add-On is attached to the Fort owned by the Player who bought it when it is purchased. Each Add-On must have a purchasing cost and an effect on the Grid. Add-Ons may also have activation costs, to be paid each time they are used.
}}

Create the following type of Add-On:
{{
__Fort Sections__

Cost: 1 Genechip
Effect at purchase: Adds 3 to the number of sections in the buyer's Fort. After this effect is recorded, this Add-On does not need to be tracked.
}}

**
The next morning, there was indeed a rough plan for a Fort on the Baron's desk, with a note attatched: "Looks good, boss, but how's anyone going to pay for it? Also, Intel says they're not sure they'll have the resources to keep tabs on ten other Forts."
**

Add the following text to rule 3-11:
{{
Each player recieves a number of Genechips equal to one tenth the number of sections in their Fort, rounded to the nearest integer.
}}

Add two sections to rule 4-4:
{{
=== The Ministry of the Grid ===

The Ministry of the Grid is a Ministry; its Minister may be called the Gridmeister. The Gridmeister is responsible for maintaining a Public Display of the Grid, showing the location of each object on the Grid. The status of objects on the Grid may be shown at the Gridmeister's discretion, but is not required.
}}

[[It's not required because it's assumed that anything complex enough, like Forts, will be put under the control of another Ministry, to prevent the Gridmeister from having a full-time job tracking this stuff.]]

{{
=== The Ministry of Forts ===

The Ministry of Forts is a Ministry; its Minister may be called the Em-Ay. The Em-Ay is responsible for maintaining a Public Display tracking the state of each Fort - its location and other attributes, the number of sections it has, and its Add-Ons. At the start of each nweek, the Em-Ay is responsible for resolving the results of each Fort's allocation of energy. If the Em-Ay owns a Fort, it is expected that e will not read any other player's Allocation before the start of the nweek after those allocations are recieved.
}}

Make Baron von Skippy the first Gridmeister.
Make Baron von Skippy the first Em-Ay.

**
Yes, that would do nicely. It was, of course, the Baron's hope that an all-out war would not be started on the Grid. The previous Grid had been too chaotic, too hard to track. This time, Forts would allow players to hold their own sections of the Grid, lending some control to the system. People could fight if they really wished, but perhaps they would be satisfied to stay peaceful... most of the time. There was only one thing left to do.
**

Give each Player who voted on this proposal a Fort. Players have one nweek to place their Fort on the Grid. At the end of that time, the Em-Ay is empowered to choose a location on the Grid for any unplaced Forts.