automailer on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:55:28 -0600 (CST)

[s-b] [auto] PlayerPersonman amends p1951

PlayerPersonman has amended p1951.

---------------------------------
Proposal 1951/1: Fixing Black Holes
A Standard Proposal by PlayerPersonman
Last modified on nweek 73, nday 4

Modify p-spec 7 to read:
{{
Black Hole is a type of piece, denoted by 'X'.

The following is a legal move:

    * Creating a Black Hole on any square if there are fewer than five black holes on the board.

When any piece is adjacent to a Black Hole, that piece is removed from the board and destroyed, unless it is a Wall.  If two Black Holes are adjacent, the most recently created one is destroyed. If a piece is adjacent to a Black hole but there is a wall between the piece and the black hole, the piece is not destroyed, but any attempt by that piece to move to a square on the same row or column as the black hole fails.

 If five or more pieces have been destroyed by a black hole, that black hole is Full and is removed from the board. The person who played it gets 10 points. If a piece is destroyed by a Black Hole while simultaneously adjacent to two black holes, the one which has destroyed the most pieces is considered to have destroyed it.

If a black hole is both adjacent to an older one and within two squares of an interdictor, the older one is destroyed, and counts as having been destroyed by the newer one. If two black holes are adjacent and both are within two sqaures of an interdictor, the one closer to the interdictor destroys the one further away. If two black holes are adjacent and equidistant from two interdictors (ie, one is two squares away from one interdictor, and one is two squares away from another) they are both destroyed, as are both interdictors and any other pieces within two squares of either interdictor. This is called a supernova.
}}

[[This solves several problems. One, you can't play pieces on top of other pieces anyway, so the black holes destroying themselves problem is easily circumvented by simply removing that rule. Two, it allows Gridlock to happen by limiting the number of black holes which can be on the board at the same time. This also makes them a little less ridiculously powerful. Three, they go away after a while, so a) more than five black holes can be played in the course of the Game, and b) sections of the board which have been black hole'd can eventually become un-black hole'd. It is true that a player could make a black hole and then keep creating pieces next to it in order to get 10 points when it's full, but this would take 6 full checking periods during which they would be unable to do anything else. I think that's pretty fair.]]

[[As for the interdictor bit, I did my best to stick to what I believe is the intent of the interdictor. I don't believe it is possible for two black holes to be both adjacent and equidistant from an interdictor. Oh wait. Yes it is, if there are two. I go fix now. ]]

[[Okay, I made supernovas. That should both remove all paradoxicality from Black Holes, and create an interesting, hard to pull off effect for people to strive for.]]