Daniel Lepage on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:56:19 -0500 (CDT)

[s-b] Actions

Ok, time to break in some of the new equipment.

I play Smooth Hands, causing me to become the First Hand-Job Master of B Nomic.

I post a Coil:
{{
__Cards: General interface__
Bonus: 50 points

The program must come in the form of something I can easily put on the website, i.e., a php page, a cgi script, a MoinMoin macro, etc.

It will be responsible for being an interface for players to move cards around themselves.

It must be able to do the following things:
1. It stores information (name, body, image, etc.) about each existing card, in whatever format it wants (MySQL, etc. can be arranged; tell me what you need) 2. It stores a list of 'card regions' where cards can be, and knows which cards are in which regions (examples of regions would include 'The Deck', "Wonko's Hand", and 'Waiting') 3. It provides a means of viewing, through a webpage, all of the above information 4. It provides pages that allow a person to move specific cards from one region to another 5. It provides pages that allow a person to move a random card from one region to another 6. It makes it easy to add new regions and cards, and also to destroy old ones.

Other things are not necessary, but would be nice:
* The ability to perform any of those changes repeatedly (for example, if I could transfer random cards from one region (like the Deck) to many other regions at once (like all players' hands) * Authentication stuff. If this is done as a MoinMoin macro, then authentication is done by the wiki itself and you can use the full power of MoinMoin's login system; if this is done as anything else, it is up to you what sort of security you use. If you don't prohibit non-players from altering the data, then I'll probably just slap a .htaccess password protection on a page and give all the players a password to edit things. * Standard buttons for common requests, for example, a 'Draw' button that moves a card at random from the region called 'The Deck' to whatever region you're currently viewing, and a 'play' button that moves a card from a hand to the Deck (or maybe to a 'pending plays' region, so we can decide if it goes into play or into the deck?) * Support for cards changing what they are and remembering their history somehow. For example, something that would let us implement The Plague.
 * Any other fun features you can think of.

There's no time limit, but if you want complicated card things like The Plague somebody will have to fill this first, 'cause I sure don't have time to build support for that.
}}

Finally, I note that the FCC is a ministry and has been Free for the past nweek. Thus, I call an Election for every free Ministry (Change, Cards, FCC, and any I might've missed), using Instant Runoff Voting, and in doing so fulfill the Election Duty. The Duty now ceases to require attention, and I get 20 points.

Except that the FCC is still a ministry, and has still been Free for the past nweek, and is still Free (it will be until the election finishes). So the Election now Requires Attention again. Thus, I call an Election on every free Ministry, again using IRV. I get 20 more points.

And oh, hey, it's free again.

Since we did away with the speed limit a while ago, and since y'all were kind enough to vote for my prop to remove the only obstacle to my doing this, I now repeat the act of calling elections on all free ministries 50 times. At twenty points per fulfillment, this shoots me past the 1000-pt mark.

I Win.

Oh, and I nominate myself for all free ministries, but only in the final election - the other one's won't matter, as whoever wins the last one will supplant any earlier winners.
--
Wonko

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
      -Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address