Glotmorf on Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:59:21 -0500 (CDT)

[Spoon-business] Any Sufficiently Advanced Magic...

The Prez of M-Tek actually makes a Club Prop...

{{ _Any Sufficiently Advanced Magic is Indistinguishable from Technology_

[[

So...you want to learn from me, eh?  Learn my skills, learn my secrets?  You think
you can be as good as me?

Well, you're wrong.  You'll never be as good as me.  Because I am the teacher, I am
the master, I am the possessor of wisdom and knowledge, and I know more than you
could ever possibly learn.

You think I got it for free?  You think it was just handed to me?  Let me tell you, it
took time and money, blood, sweat and tears to get to where I am today.  And you
want me to just give it to you?

Well, that's not going to happen.  If you want to learn, you'll have to work for it...and
that means working for me.  You'll do what I say, when I say, and how I say.  And if
you keep it up, and don't mess things up too badly -- and when I think you're ready --
you'll do some of the real work, handle some of the real tools...use some of the real
technology.

Of course, you can always go do it on your own...start from scratch, do the research,
spill the blood, drip the sweat, shed the tears...It should only take you half a lifetime
to catch up with me.

Or be my peon.  And if you're real good, and work real hard...

...You might reach executive peon.

]]

{{ _Technology_

There can exist Technologies.  A Technology represents the ability for an entity that
has the Technology to perform an action or set of actions specified by the
Technology.

"Having a Technology" is defined as possessing an attribute that signifies the
Technology to be had.  An entity can come to have a Technology by one of the
following means:

- a rule or passed proposal gives the Technology to the entity
- another entity can give the Technology to the entity (this does not cause the giving
entity to lose the Technology)
- an entity can spend accumulated Research Points in the amount required by the
Technology

In order to exist, a Technology must consist of the following:

- a unique name
- a number of Research Points necessary to spend in order to gain the Technology
- a description of the action(s) the possessor of a Technology is entitled to perform

}}

{{ _Research Points_

An entity can have Research Points, as a result of having conducted research or
being given Research Points by another entity.

Research Points are either General (applicable to any Technology) or Applied
(applicable only to a specific Technology).  If an entity gains a particular Technology,
all Applied Research Points specific to that Technology are destroyed.  If a
Technology ceases to exist, half of each entity's Applied Research Points specific to
that Technology are converted to General Research Points; the other half are
destroyed.

Conducting research costs an entity five points; the entity mus specify whether the
research is General or Applied, and, if Applied, what Technology it is specific to.
General research yields (1d4)-1 General Research Points; Applied research yields
1d4 Applied Research Points.

}}

}}

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt