Daniel Lepage on 1 May 2003 23:59:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 40 BALLOT

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:14  AM, David E. Smith wrote:

The following measures are on the ballot for nweek 40:

Proposal 1466/0: My Clock Is Always Off By A Few Minutes... (The Administrator)
Yes

Proposal 1467/0: The new Number Game (Baron von Skippy)
Shelve. You forgot to say what n starts as. As it is now, I could make a good case for this rule undefining everyone's score next nweek. Again. That's bad.

Proposal 1468/0: Recycling insta-rules (bd)
Yes

Proposal 1471/0: Radar jammers (bd)
Shelve. It's a nice idea, but it has two flaws: 1) you provide no method for becoming unjammed, and 2) I don't like adding bits about one rule in a different rule unless necessary. There's no reason why Jamming needs to be in rule 301. If Jamming just meant Radar=0, the same effect would be produced, but if we ever decided to repeal Jammers, it'd all be in that one rule.

Proposal 1472/0: Carryable Objects and Mass (Orc In a Spacesuit)
Yes, although in general I dislike these sorts of lists. If we plan on adding lots of attributes, lists are the easier way to go, but if we instead plan on creating lots of objects with preexisting properties, having each object definition include mass and whatnot is much easier.

Proposal 1473/1: Fixing Everything (Wonko)
Yes

Proposal 1474/0: Goddammit. (Glotmorf)
No. Chaos is at the heart of B Nomic; if we did unpleasant things to everyone who accidentally caused it, we'd all be screwed.

On the other hand, I do think we should be throwing around Respect/Disrespect props much more often - the system does no good if we don't use it.

Proposal 1475/1: Societies get charters (Orc In a Spacesuit)
No. This will get ugly if my prop passes.

Proposal 1476/0: Daddy's gotta take your keys away now... (Glotmorf)
No. I think I've mentioned my dislike of rules that punish specific players.

Proposal 1477/1: Free Trade v1.0 (Orc In a Spacesuit)
Shelve. I think I see some problems here; it's gonna take me some time to verify that they actually will cause problems and come up with any sort of solution.

Proposal 1478/0: Breaking Nomics (Glotmorf)
Yes

Proposal 1482/0: Ahm Not Thayt Thunk! (Orc In a Spacesuit)
Shelve

Proposal 1483/0: Movement (Orc In a Spacesuit)
Shelve. Too long for me to check it all for leaks right now.

Proposal 1484/0: Disrespect Orc (Baron von Skippy)
No. No Double Jeopardy.

Proposal 1485/0: Disrespect BvS (bd)
Yes. Not so much for the hostility itself, as for letting that hostility spill over into our game.

--
Wonko