David E. Smith on 21 Oct 2002 23:27:02 -0000

[Spoon-business] The Societies band-aid

I know a couple other societies patches have come along, and I haven't yet
read 'em. Meanwhile, here was my idea, which didn't seem to meet with too
many objections when I bounced it around last nweek.

(I'll spit out another Recognizer later this evening, hopefully.)

{{ __Another Band-Aid (TM) For Societies__

Insert in Rule 578, as subsection D.1.4:

{{
D.1.4. Monarchy

Any Player who is not a member of the Society may issue a Request For
Admittance (RFA) on a Public Forum. The Monarch of the Society may accept
or decline this RFA at eir sole discretion; this decision is final.

If a Society is created by player action, the Monarch is the player whose
action created the Society. If the Society is created by a proposal, the
Monarch is the player who authored the proposal. If a proposal is created
by an Unauthored Proposal, or a proposal with multiple authors (i.e. one
submitted by another Society), the proposal must specify the identity of
the Monarch, or else the Society shall not be created.
}}

In Rule 578, section G.2., remove the second paragraph. Insert in its
place:

"During the first nweek in which a Society created by player action
exists, the Society shall be treated as if it were created with the
"Monarchy" Standard Method for Joining, instead of any method (standard or
otherwise) specified in its charter."

[[ During those crucial first few ndays, the boss/prez/whatever gets to
run the show. This section is negotiable; it could create as many
problems as it solves. Comments? ]]

Insert at the end of the third paragraph of Rule 578, Section D.1. "A
Player consents to joining a Society only by explicitly giving eir consent
on a Public Forum. No player may be forced to join a Society against eir
will."

[[ there, is THAT clear enough? ]]

}}