Glotmorf on 24 May 2002 19:36:54 -0000

spoon-business: CFI 727 Appeal

On 5/24/02 at 9:05 AM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Naath Thabana,
>
>> Statement: As of the time this CFI was issued, Iain
>> was not and had never been a member of M-Tek.
>>
>> Defendant: Glotmorf
>>
>> Analysis:
>>
>> Players may not change the gamestate unless a rule
>> explicitly permits them to. Iain's joining of M-Tek
>> was a change to the gamestate. Therefore, Iain could
>> not have joined M-Tek unless a rule permitted em to.
>> However, no rule permitted em to join.
>>
>> Although M-Tek's Charter outlines methods for the
>> addition of players to M-Tek, the Charter only has the
>> force of rule for members of the club. Thus, unless
>> one is already a member of the club, one cannot join
>> the club.
>>
>> Judgement:
>> False, Ian is a member of M-Tek.
>>
>> Why:
>> Because he joined in the way prescribed by the M-Tek
>> charter.  There is no other rule saying that Ian may
>> *not* join M-Tek in this way
>
>I appeal this CFJ on the grounds that there is a rule saying that Iain may
>not join M-Tek in this way. It's the Default Case, which says that players
>may not change the gamestate.
>
>--
>Wonko

As a member of the Upper House, I rule FALSE on CFI 727.

For analysis I reiterate an earlier statement regarding this CFI:

The Default Case, Rule 393, says it defers to all other rules.

M-Tek was created via a Charter Prop.

Rule 631 says Charter Props create Clubs.

Rule 578 says a Club is a Society.

Rule 578 says entities may be members of Societies.

Iain, by accepting my invitation, declared emself to be a member of M-Tek.

Rule 631 says members of a Club must obey the rules stated in the Club's Charter.

The Club Charter for M-Tek dictates the circumstances whereby a person can become a member.

The circumstances under which Iain declared emself a member is consistent with the circumstances outlined in the M-Tek Club Charter.

Therefore, Iain is obeying the rules in the M-Tek Club Charter that determine whether or not e is a member.

Since Rule 393 defers to all other rules, it defers to Rules 578 and 631, in conjunction with the M-Tek Charter.

I have said.

						Glotmorf