Karin L. Kross on 5 Feb 2002 20:45:07 -0000

spoon-business: CFJ 338 - Judgement

CFJ 338 (Judge: Congenital Optimist)
CFJ by Scoff!

STATEMENT: The Administrator can not refuse to recognize any
action posted to a public forum, except where such
non-recognition is explicitly permitted by the rules.

Scoff!'s analysis: It's not a rule, but it certainly should be.
The alternative gives *way* too much power of discretion to the
Administrator. If eir least-favorite player posts a Grid move to
a square that has a Shiny thing, can e ignore the move to prevent
said player receiving points? This whole ignoring-an-action thing
sets up an unwelcome precedent.

Ruling: UNDECIDED

Analysis: On the one hand, Scoff!'s argument has considerable
weight; on the other hand, I think that the administrator should
have *some* authority over the game.  I can't seem to find
anything where the administrator's legal rights and
responsibilities are spelled out (and if there are, please let me
know).  I feel that this is not an issue that can be solved in a
CFJ; it should be resolved in a proposal defining the Admin's
rights.

For what it's worth, I think that even with the system of CFJs in
place, we do need an administrator as a "measure of last resort"
when something goes truly haywire.  But that's just my opinion.

-Congenital Optimist

--
karinlee@xxxxxx | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil