Karin L. Kross on 14 Jan 2002 15:46:09 -0000

spoon-business: Judgement CFJ 237

Judgement: UNDECIDED

>  Statement: The phrase "the rules" is not a uniquely
>  identifying name. Phrases in common usage in the ruleset, such
>  as "the rules", "a proposal", or "the public forum", are
>  already in usage in a uniquely identifying manner; players may
>  not choose such phrases as eir player names.

Analysis by Congenital Optimist:

My initial inclination was to rule this as TRUE, but after
analyzing the statement as written, I wasn't sure that I could.
To say that "the phrase 'the rules' is not a uniquely identifying
name" and then say that the phrase is "already in usage as a
uniquely identifying manner" seems to be to be contradictory.

Were this question to be rendered up for judgement again, I would
suggest that it be rephrased along the following lines:

1) The phrase "the rules" is not a uniquely identifying name. It
is a phrase in common usage, such as "a proposal" or "the public
forum"; players may not choose such phrases as eir player names.

or

2) The phrase "the rules" is a uniquely identifying name
referring to the B Nomic rules.  As such, a player cannot choose
the phrase as eir player name.

[[This is a somewhat wussy judgement and all, but it being my
first one and me being new to the game, this is the best I could
do.]]

-Congenital Optimist

--
karinlee@xxxxxx | http://seishonagon.org
"Life is short, but tacky just goes on forever."