Jörg Rathlev on 13 Mar 2001 22:58:22 -0000

spoon-business: RFJ 31 ruling and a proposal

> > Statement:
> >
> > Voting without notifying the Administrator of your votes is
> > possible [[if
> > not entirely practical]]
>
> Recognised as RFJ#31 and assigned to Joerg.

FALSE

Analysis:

The rules clearly state that actions have to be taken in public fora (R112/0, Fora), and voting is an action. A Player may however vote without using a public forum by notifying the Administrator (R226/0, Secret Voting).

Since the Administrator is the person resposible for counting the votes (R225/1, Vote Counting), it is obvious that "casting a vote" should be interpreted as "making the vote available to the Administrator". The votes must be made available to the Administrator during the voting period, because "Only votes cast during voting are counted for voting purposes" (R225/1).

----

Note that currently it is illegal to vote by submitting the votes to a non-public forum (such votes are private votes since the voting doesn't happen in a public forum). While the actual votes are legal, and should be counted, it violates R226/0 because the votes are revealed before the end of the voting period.

To solve this, I make the following proposal:

\begin{proposal}
\title{How to vote}

Amend rule 226 by changing the title to "Voting" and the text to:

"To cast a vote, a Player must submit the vote to a public forum. E may also vote privately if e desires by submitting the vote to the Officer responsible for counting the votes using another method. The Officer shall reveal such private votes at the end of the voting period, but no Player except the voter is allowed to reveal them before."

[[by voting in a non-public forum, the voter reveals the votes emself, which is now legal]]

\end{proposal}

Joerg