Dan on 12 Mar 2001 05:51:54 -0000

spoon-business: Similarity challenge no. 3

Response was very quick this time.  I recieved multiple correct responses
within 24 hours of announcing the contest.  And I learned something new
about the items that I had not known before.

I recieved answers from the following Players:

Jonno
relet
Benjamin
Joel Uckelman
PurpleBob

The Correct answer that I was looking for was that the three items named
were all pieces by the American composer Charles Ives.  Even better
answers (although I did not expect this), were that they were all recorded
on the CD "Charles Ives - Symphony no. 2" by Leonard Bernstein and the New
York Philharmonic Orchestra, and published by Deutsche Grammophon, CD no.
DG429220-2.  The music was recorded live.  I didn't know when I made the
puzzle that the album had won a grammy award in 1990 for best classical
album.

relet, Benjamin, Joel and PurpleBob all indicated that the pieces were by
Ives.  relet and PurpleBob identified the recording.  Jonno and relet
pointed out that it won a grammy award, which I did not know in advance,
but relet did not provide the most important link which was that Ives was
the composer.  Jonno said that the three pieces are symphonies--they are
not, although one of the other works on the same disc is Ives' symphony
no. 2.

Jonno, relet, Benjamin, Joel Uckelman, and PurpleBob all transfered 4
points to me, Poulenc, and to fulfil my duties as Contestmaster I transfer
10 points to PurpleBob, who won the contest with the first corect answer.
PurpleBob is the new Contestmaster.

Poulenc