Kieron Jarvis on 4 Oct 2000 04:01:28 -0000

spoon-business: Judgment RFJ5

Judgment RFJ5

In the matter:

There is there a player by the name of DW.

I rule false.

I am basing this judgment on the assumption that the second 'there' in the
statement to be judged refers to a place within the boundaries of this Nomic
game. This assumption is made by taking the statement within it's context.

The Agent Dan Waldron has sent no posts to the business list. E did send one
post to the discussion list indicating a desire to become a player. This
post does not qualify em as a Player.

Rule 106:
"A Player is an Agent who...has become a Player in the manner proscribed in
the Rules."

makes it clear that an Agent may only become a Player as proscribed in the
Rules. The only rules that allow an Agent to become a player are these two.

Rule 209:
"During the first nweek of play, any Agent otherwise qualified as a Player
may become one by publicly declaring eir desire to be so."

Rule 210:
"Any Agent otherwise qualified as a Player may become one if a Motion to Add
naming em is adopted..."

In regards to the public state of each list I'm going to be lazy here and
paste into this judgement the revelant sections of a post from J.

<pasted from J>
Rule 218 deals with the designation of fora as public or private, here
quoted in its relevant parts:

"The Administrator may designate a Forum public if it is reasonably
accessible to all Players. . . . Only the Administrator may redesignate
Fora."

And Rule 219:

"If at any time there exist no public Fora, the Administrator shall take
such steps as are necessary to designate one. Designation of a Forum as
public when there are no extant public Fora need not [[and cannot!]] be done
publicly."

In the first message I sent to the business list, I reported the designation
of spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx as a public forum, in accord with R218 and R219.
This designation is not enshrined in the rules because the rules concerning
fora not only do not require it to be so, but explicitly provide a process
for changing the publicity(?) of a forum.

So, any actions sent to the discussion list need not be recognized because
they are not public. Go ahead and send actions to the discussion list if you
want, but the rules seem to require everyone to ignore them.
<end of paste>

The Agent Dan Waldron has not met the requirements of the Rules to become a
Player.

XnJester