Joel Uckelman on Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:52:38 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-talk] Re: [hosers-announce] adding SPF checks for incoming mail

Thus spake Joshua:
> i wish there were a way to stop http referrer log spam; in the past
> few months i've suddenly been subject to a constant stream of guerilla
> (gorilla) advertising from a large handful of the same sites (many of
> which go to the same place anyway) in the form of falsified referrers
> in my logs. the curious thing is that they come from different places -
> the http accesses - even though all of the effort at annoyance is
> apparently directed by the same interests.

That seems even more intractable than email spam. They're free to construct
whatever http requests they want; the only way you could stop referrer log
spam is to verify the referrer in every request which has one. If you had
to run every referring page through a bayesean filter, say, that wouldn't
scale very well.

--
J.