Joshua on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:18:05 -0600 (CST)

[hosers-talk] Re: [hosers-announce] adding SPF checks for incoming mail

Joel Uckelman sez:
>In an effort to stop more spam at the door, I'm setting up SPF checking
>on charybdis. SPF is a scheme by which the owner of a domain publishes
>a list (in DNS) of servers from which mail from that domain may originate.
>The idea is that if I receive mail claiming to be from example.com but
>the server which sent it isn't one of those listed by example.com, then I
>can safely reject the mail as junk. This will help with spam from commonly-
>spoofed domains which have their own SPF records.

i wish there were a way to stop http referrer log spam; in the past
few months i've suddenly been subject to a constant stream of guerilla
(gorilla) advertising from a large handful of the same sites (many of
which go to the same place anyway) in the form of falsified referrers
in my logs. the curious thing is that they come from different places -
the http accesses - even though all of the effort at annoyance is
apparently directed by the same interests.

josh