Jon Stewart on Thu, 5 Aug 2004 01:38:41 -0500 (CDT)

[hosers-talk] opie

http://www.inner.net/opie

Opie is a one-time password package for linux. Herewith, my plan for
allowing secure logins into my linux box from an untrusted host:

1. Create two user accounts, my "real" account and a dummy account.
Generate a public/private key pair for each; the dummy account private key
will be left unencrypted, hence no password is required.

2. Put the real account's private key within the home directory of the
dummy user. Put the dummy account's private key on a usb drive for use on
the road.

4. Install opie and memorize list of one-time passwords (annoying).

5. ssh into my linux box from an untrusted host (e.g. work box, internet
cafe, client sites, etc.), using dummy account. Authenticate using
unencrypted private key on usb drive.

6. As second step, opie prompts for the appropriate one-time password.
This is typed in from memory.

7. Access is now granted to dummy account. ssh into real account using
encrypted private key, entering its password.

Normally, a login from an untrusted host can easily defeat ssh's public
key authentication as the private key must exist on the host for some
period of time and the password to the key must be entered; a careless ssh
implementation could forget to memlock the password buffer, so it could
get swapped out, and even memlock is no protection against keyloggers
(which are becoming increasingly prolific). By using the one-time
password, which is a secret, you can blithely ignore keyloggers and swap.
By using public key authentication for the private account, you combine
something you know (the OTP) with something you have (the private key) and
you also initiate an encrypted session. Once into the dummy account, you
can then safely enter your password for the real private key, because the
real private key never leaves the trusted machine.

A dummy account is used so that trusted hosts can log into the real
account directly, avoiding the OTP rigamarole.

Clumsy, but I think it should work.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org