Jeff Schroeder on 16 Aug 2003 20:28:31 -0000

[hosers-talk] Re: lost mail

Thus spake Jeff Schroeder:
> My loss, after more investigation, seems to be via POP. Using qinc it works. > Although 'qinc -notrucate' doesn't work. May mail is still removed from th
> e spool... :)

- -notruncate is an option I'd never used before. I didn't realize there were
any inc options that couldn't be reliably passed on to inc from qinc. I'll
fix now.

Thanks, I tested it and it works

> My Eudora settings are unchanged, and it tries to get mail and succeeds (at g > etting nohting), but no errors are displayed. Perhaps it is using Mail inste
> ad of /Maildir??
>
> jeff

It's good that your mail isn't disappearing. The pop3 daemon that you're
polling is qmail's. It doesn't know how to read from the spool, only from
Maildirs. I know also that if there is a problem with my pop3 setup, it isn't
completely broken, since Tom and I both get our mail from charybdis via pop3
(with fetchmail) and neither of us are having problems.

Unfortunately, that also means whatever problem Jon is having isn't this one.
I have no idea what's going on there, since no one else is reporting bounces.

I'll do some more detective work and let you know what I see.

I got fetchmail reconfigured (it was using APOP through an ssl tunnel, now the setup is much simplier!) and it retrieves my mail now. There must be some setup problem with Eudora. But it worries me that it seems to be working without errors.

jeff