Jon Stewart on 4 Aug 2003 17:43:06 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] what sucks

> > Joel: can you have Mailman privatize hosers? Doesn't seem like there's a
> > need to expose all of charybdis' user names.
> >

> > Jon
>
> Do you mean that I should set the list so that non-members can't see a list
> of members? It's already like that.

Also: "obscure" email addresses. If you browse through the archives, full
email addresses are available.

I'd actually much rather see it print only full names of folks, not user
names, but I don't think that's an option. :-(

In other, personally exciting news, I successfully installed Slackware 9.0
on one of my intel shitboxes yesterday. I was hoping to get Debian, but
Fry's only had RedHat (outrageously expensive), SuSE (not quite as
outrageously expensive), Lindows (outrageously expensive), Slackware, and
FreeBSD (the last two $40 each). (Since I don't have broadband at home, I
couldn't download ISOs and I don't have a CD burner at work.) I thought
long and hard about FreeBSD, but given the kwality of my shitboxes, I was
hesitant about driver support; deciding to be a man, I went with
Slackware.

I bumbled my way through the install with absolutely no documentation. It
came off with flying colors. Gnome and KDE appear to run flawlessly.

So, my to-do list:

1. Using ssh and rsync (under Cygwin for my Win2K box), mirror my home
directories across all machines automatically.

2. Get Visual C++ for the Windows box.

3. Use either rsync or export a samba share from my iMac, so I can have my
free 1-client perforce (CVS blows compared to perforce) check stuff out
locally and the other machines can get the source, too, and start their
own builds.

4. Figure out some way to have Visual C++ use makefiles.

The goal is to have a pretty seamless environment for building and testing
portable C++ projects. I want to be typing on one machine, execute my
build command/script, and verify that everything builds on MacOS X, Linux,
and Windows. Windows is the odd man out, but at least if I can get my
greasy fingers on Visual C++ 7.1 I can be pretty assured that most C++
features will work -- it's supposedly giving the latest version of gcc a
run for its money as far as ISO compliance goes.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org