Jon Stewart on 1 Jul 2002 17:22:02 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] building nmh -- resolved

> > Does the mail user have permission to create new files in /var/mail? File
> > locking is usually done by creating temporary lock files.
>

> I will investigate...

permissions/user/group:

/usr/local/bin/nmh/inc

	-rwxr-sr-x  root  mail

/var/mail/ (the directory)

	drwxrwxr-x  root  mail

/var/mail/jon (maildrop)

	-rw-rw----  jon   mail

relevant part of /usr/local/nmh/etc/mts.conf:

	# enable file locking -- JLS, 7/1/02
	lockldir: /var/mail
	lockstyle: 1

If I copy my maildrop file to my home dir, I can then incorporate from
the new file. That sucks, however.

I haven't messed around with postfix much at all. I only know that it
seems to be running smoothly -- system mail messages are coming into the
maildrop file at about 3am every day.

For some reason, chmod (using sudo) can't do u+r and u+w on /var/mail/jon.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"and dropping a barbell, he points to the sky, saying 'the sun's not
yellow, it's chicken.'"

			-- Bob Dylan