Jon Stewart on 2 Jan 2002 01:43:14 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: the onslaught begins

> > The idea is to use KDevelop for C++ development, have it generate make
> > files, then to use something called CruiseControl to periodically check
> > the status of my source files in CVS, and run Ant (of the Jakarta Project)
> > to pull out the source, run make, run my test suites, and commit changes
> > to a clean CVS directory if successful, finally logging the status of the
> > build process and creating a web page using a servlet. I'll need to hack
> > Ant to run make, but that's relatively easy to do. The goal is to have a
> > fully-automated build process and mostly automated source code control.
> >

> Hey, just going through some old mail; did you ever make any progress on
> this?

Some. I'm familiarizing myself with KDevelop and CVS. I bought O'Reilly's
CVS pocket reference, and that's helping. I'm trying to figure out just
how well KDevelop uses CVS to see if I can get by using its front end
exclusively, or if I should just damn it all and go via the terminal. I
should probably learn CVS for the sake of learning CVS, but I am lazy, so
using it in a Kmediated way is somewhat appealing.

The test suite I decided upon is CPPUnit, which is a port of JUnit,
originally by Ward Cunningham.

Ant has some fringe beta extensions to add support for C++ compilation.
Actually, there are two. The authors are working on a consolidation of the
two. I can't decide if I want to use this and write my build files in Ant,
or if I want my own [very limited, trivially simple] Ant extension that
will call make and then use makefiles (which KDevelop can supposedly
generate). I don't want to fuss with make if I can help it. Ant's use
of XML is entirely logical and seems to be the ideal thing for Java.

 ---

I need to do things in steps:

1. Get some trivial source working.

2. Write test suites for it using CppUnit.

3. Get it all into CVS.

4. Get Ant working on some trivial Java program.

5. Get Ant to compile the source.

6. Get Ant to compile the test suite.

7. Get Ant to run the test suite.

8. Get Ant to compile the source and the test suite, and then run the test
suite.

9. Choose a documentation generator (Doxygen? Anyone got any experience
with these sorts of things?).

10. Get Ant to generate HTML documentation as part of the build process.

11. Get Ant to export the results of the build process to the java servlet
thingy, so you can track builds on the web.

Then I need to see if I can't get cygwin running on my ThinkPad and then
try to use it to develop remotely (ie. on my ThinkPad's nice 1024x768 LCD
screen).

I should do 1, 2, & 3 soon.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Survey says: it was a bad idea in the first place."

	-- The Dismemberment Plan