Jon Stewart on 9 Aug 2001 03:45:38 -0000

hosers-talk: Fred Brooks, Turing Award Winner

So Amazon delivered _Brilliant Corners_ and _The Mythical Man Month_ (20th
anniversary ed.) to my door yesterday and I finished TMMM around noon
today (making it onto the very exclusive Books Jon Stewart Has Actually
*Finished* list).

It was a good book, a fast read. Not, perhaps, the revelatory screed
everyone gushes about, but I'd read so many reviews about it that I knew a
great deal about it beforehand. There were a number of very good ideas
and, using very simple mathematics and some graphs (and very little Greek
symbols; Brooks is my man), presented some stark evidence for why the
software process can be so crappy.

One of the interesting things was how much detail he goes into about
actual systems programming on crappy old IBM mainframes. Not to the extent
that it's tedious, thankfully, but enough to convince you that writing
software was a very different beast in the 60s and 70s. (Beyond just the
language flavor of the month and the limitations of hardware; things were
just _different_, in a way which I'm not sure I'll ever completely
understand, lest, God forbid, I learn Cobol.)

It's also interesting because it goes into a fair amount of detail about
how the federal government and the corporate world go about building large
scale software systems. It's an experience that seems quite foreign to me
and, I'd bet, any other college student.

Combine that with what's happened at my company the last couple days --
short story is we're getting sued, but I don't know that, and neither does
anyone else, especially the president and the top breeder who are sorting
through files downstairs at the moment to prepare a defense -- and I'm
just struck by how surreal large personnel entities really are.

My thoughts for the evening.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Survey says: it was a bad idea in the first place."

	-- The Dismemberment Plan