Joel Uckelman on 22 Jul 2001 20:26:21 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: MySQL vs PostgreSQL vs Oracle 8i

Quoth Jeff Schroeder:
> Mostly to learn, currently I want to set up something that will handle
> logins without including them in /etc/passwd - for mail users for example.

What Jon said about MySQL lacking functionality doesn't much apply, in this
case. For this, you need a crypt function, and the ability to do some basic
lookups, which MySQL can handle quite nicely.

BTW, I'm not sure what MySQL is lacking exactly. There are a few
seldom-used SQL language things that are not implemented, but I can't thing
of much else.

--
J.