Jeff Schroeder on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:08:22 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-announce] adding SPF checks for incoming mail

When you reject mail this way, does it get bounced back to the sender?

I ask because my work for some reason instituted some sort of crappy spam blocker a while ago that doesn't seem to actually block any spam, however it prevents mail coming from my server (or ellipsis.cx - but comcast.net and gmail.com both work) from appearing in my inbox. No bounce is recieved so I am only guessing that it is a spam blocker...

jeff

Joel Uckelman wrote:

In an effort to stop more spam at the door, I'm setting up SPF checking
on charybdis. SPF is a scheme by which the owner of a domain publishes
a list (in DNS) of servers from which mail from that domain may originate.
The idea is that if I receive mail claiming to be from example.com but
the server which sent it isn't one of those listed by example.com, then I
can safely reject the mail as junk. This will help with spam from commonly-
spoofed domains which have their own SPF records.
I've been running an SPF-checker on scylla for about a week now with no
problems. If you do notice that you're not getting some of your mail because
of this (unlikely, but not impossible), please let me know.

Note that this does *not* mean that I will be publishing SPF records for
ellipsis.cx/nomic.net just yet. SPF creates some issues with mail forwarding;
I think I have a solution for those of us using .forward, but I want to test
it first.