Joel Uckelman on 20 Sep 2002 18:57:02 -0000

[hosers-announce] unplanned outage this morning

Sorry about the outage this morning. The IP address assigned to my router
changed overnight, which made it incapable of routing my static IPs. After
I spent two hours on the phone with Ameritech, they fixed it, although no
one was able to explain why this had occurred.

This morning, I received the following call:

Telemarketer: Would you like to switch your local phone service to
Ameritech?
Me: No.
Telemarketer: Why not?
Me: I can't _switch_ to Ameritech. You *already* provide my local phone
service.
Telemarketer: Oh.

It's as though I'm in a Kafka novel. In fact, I can think of no experience
I've had (nor any that I've heard of) that could be more aptly described as
Kafkaesque.

--
J.