Sara L Uckelman on Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:07:01 -0600 (CST)

[HS] Lesson 3: How to represent accented characters over email

Greetings!

Just a mini-lesson today.  Caius said that he couldn't read alot
of the accented characters in last night's lesson.  I thought that
it would work, but I guess it won't, so I'll change my presentation
format.

There are two main ways that people in the College of Arms represent
accented characters when in plain text settings (such as emails).
The first was developed by a past Laurel King of Arms, Da'ud ibn
Auda, and is hence known as the "Da'ud notation" and you'll hear
one speak of "Da'ud-izing" a name or a document.

This notation system consists of enclosing the accented letter in
curly brackets and following the letter (inside the brackets) with
a character visually representatitive of the accent.  E.g., {a'}
represents an <a> with an acute accent, {a"} represents an <a> with
an umlaut.  A full explanation of Da'ud notation can be found
here:

http://www.scadian.net/heraldry/daud.html

The Academy of S. Gabriel uses a different notation system, one
which is quicker to type.  Here, no curly brackets are used, and
the character which represents the accent just follows the letter
which is to be accented.  The characters and the accents they
represent are:

/ - acute accent
\ - grave accent
" - umlauts
: - umlauts (both are used)
^ - circumflex
~ - tilde
^ - hacheck (found in some eastern European languages, and always
	differentiated from the ^ being used as a circumflex)
* - a small ring above the letter
. - a dot underneath the letter

Special characters are noted this way:

{th} - thorn
{dh} - edh
c, - c-cedilla
o, - o-ogonek
{ae} - ae-ligature
{oe} - oe-ligature

I prefer to use the Academy's notation system because it is quicker.
I'll start writing all my lessons in one or the other, and will
always specify which I'm using.  If I use any accents or characters
not mentioned here, I'll explain them when I first use them.

I see that the copy of Lesson 2 in the archives didn't maintain the
accents correctly.  I will send out a revised version of Lesson 2
later today, with all the accents corrected.

-Aryanhwy

--
vita sine literis mors est
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/