Joel Uckelman on Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:28:24 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] a survey of previous work

Thus spake Marc Lanctot:

> I'll now follow-up on Gala.
>
>    http://voidstar.boldlygoingnowhere.org/lanctot/tmp/koller97gala.pdf
>
> Gala is a language for representing extensive-form games with imperfect
> information (the mathematical description of 'game'). It was designed by
> Daphne Koller et. al., the same people who designed a popular algorithm
> called "Sequence-Form Linear Programming" for finding Nash Equilibria in
> imperfect information, circa 1994. As far as I know,  they designed Gala
> specifically because they released an implementation of their algorithm
> and wanted people to use it to 'solve' games. I don't know how much we
> can gain from this (I don't know how many people are using it, I don't
> know much about it.. ), but it's a start.
>
> Marc

I've read the parts of this which define the language (through p.190),
now, but will comment on the other thread devoted to Gala.

Unfortunately, I think the answer to "how many people are using is" is
"none":"

  http://ai.stanford.edu/~koller/gala.html

This page says that the version of Prolog which Gala relies on isn't
available anymore. It does make me wonder what exactly they were doing
which prevented them moving to a Prolog interpreter which is still
maintained.

--
J.