Kyle H on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:10:10 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] what's our status ?

    During this lull, let me take the opportunity to advertise the new
Empires in Arms computer game that was released recently by Matrix Games.
JJ and I have been waiting for this game to be released for about 3 years,
so we're excited to finally get our hands on it.  I haven't really had time
to test it out yet, but here's what I can tell you.  It supports hotseat and
PBEM games (but not LAN/network games).  It is a blend of Empires in Arms
and the online variant "Empires in Harm".  You can play any country you like
and set any number of countries to computer AI at three different levels of
ability (Easy, Medium, Hard).  Unfortunately, it does not seem to have
pop-up tutorials for new players.  So learning the interface might take a
bit of trial-and-error plus thumbing through the bulky rulebook.
    JJ and I each paid $60 for it at Origins.  We were told that customers
could order a physical copy or simply pay to download the game directly from
their website.  I believe the website is www.matrixgames.com (but if not, a
Google search should come up with it pretty quickly).
    Again, I haven't really had time to playtest it, so I can't vouch for
the quality of the game.  But since you're all veteran EIA players, I
thought you might be interested in hearing about it.  (JJ and I have had our
eyes on the game for a while, and even we didn't know it was available until
we saw it at the convention.)

FYI,

kdh