Joel Uckelman on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:30:44 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

Thus spake "James Helle":
> I am not opposed to starting over.  However, if we do this will be the third
> time we've done so since I've started playing.  I think we should discuss
> (and decide on) a mechanism that will prevent us starting over any more
> after this.  I have gotten the impression that some players are not fond of
> the UMP rules, but these may have to be our fall back position in the
> future.

Two issues here: One is about when it's desirable to restart, the other is
whether it's possible to forestall restarting by doing something in advance.

For the first, my opinion is that where we stopped in the first game was a
bad place to stop, and that where we are now would be a good place to stop.
The distinction for me turns on what possibilities for real competition the
rest of the game offers. When Everett quit, no power had a commanding lead.
As for the current game, I'd gladly soldier on despite having no chance of
winning myself so long as I could satisfy myself that the game was not
already decided.

For the second, Nate provides a good example. When we started this game,
Nate had no way of predicting that in July 2005 he would be starting law
school and have a significant other. Unless we want to make clear to people
at the start that they can't have any significant changes in their lives
during the course of the game, I don't see any way to avoid things like
this.

So, I'm not unreservedly in favor of methods for preventing us from
restarting, since  I think that 1) there are good places to stop which can
occur well before a game would end naturally, and 2) people's lives are
unpredictable.

> Also, JJ and I discussed the bidding system a week or two ago and it seems
> both of us are wondering if we have been bidding too high to make victory
> reasonably attainable.  Kyle, would the EIH people have some input on
> "sensible" bids?

I thought that bidding was too high immediately after seeing the results,
honestly.

--
J.