Joel Uckelman on Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:34:04 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] British naval phase, 12/06 (part II)

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> Sorry to be a hardnose, but in my opinion Joel already passed on
> intercepting the first two fleets, and it was only when he saw how my orders
> continued that he changed his mind.  Of course, when the Portugal fleet
> moves into the blockade box Russia can intercept then, before any more
> fleets would join the battle (and they would).

Absolutely not. I thought that in chosing not to intercept the stack, all
that could happen was that that stack would declare an attack on me, or
it would just pass by. Had I realized that that stack could be joined by
others before the battle, I would have intercepted it at that point.
Can you think of any reason why I would chose to fight a larger fleet instead
of a smaller fleet? That should indicate to you that I didn't understand
the situation when I made my decision this morning.

> Sorry, Joel.  I'd like to be generous, but if I lost the battle because of
> it I'd be kicking myself too much.

This comment confuses me. Do you mean to imply that you woudln't have been,
had I understood the naval rules and you'd lost?

> What do the rest of you think ?  Am I way off base ?

I've always advocated charity in allowing people to correct orders when
no important information is given away in the process. I don't see how
it could be surprising---on a correct interpretation of the rules---that
more fleets would arrive.