J.J. Young on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:12:23 -0600 (CST)

[eia] I can't make it add up

Jim, I'm having trouble getting your troop totals to add up, and I'm hoping you can help clear it up;

In August, you reported the III, VII, Imp. Gd, and Art. corps south of Soissons w/ 20 I, 2 Gd, 11 Art., and 6 C.  In September, the VII corps marched to Montpellier (losing 3 I from foraging), while the rest marched to Zurich and got depot supply.

For the siege battles, the VII corps at Montpellier was reported to be 5 I, 1 C after foraging losses, so it must have been 8 I, 1 C when it started the turn.  The forces at Zurich were reported as 13 I, 2 Gd, 11 Art, 6 C.  This adds up to a total of 21 I, 2 Gd, 11 Art, 7 C.

Now the extra infantry factor can be accounted for by the fact that September is an infantry reinforcement month, but I don't see where the extra cavalry factor could have come from.  There must be a mistake in one of the reports.

-JJY