Nate Ellefson on Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:18:40 -0600 (CST)

RE: [eia] Assault at Zurich-French rolls

> As the official history monkey, with the task of someday
> making a comprehensive record of the game, I need the corps
> IDs involved in each battle.  This info is part of the
> history blurb for that battle.

I was unaware that anyone had such a role.  Can't wait to read it!

> Here's one attempt at the challenge; certain peace conditions
> require that the victor choose corps or fleets of the loser,
> for removal or to become a "corps on loan".  Say a corps gets
> its ass kicked in a battle, losing most of its factors, and
> then marches into a stack of other corps of its corps. Then
> peace is made before the reinforcement phase allows the
> shifting of factors between corps.  It would certainly be
> important to know which corps is which if a choice is
> required as part of the peace.

In such an admirably esoteric case, "I'll take a corps that wasn't
involved in Battle X" would probably do fine, since everyone would
understand that the victor was entitled to information that would allow
him to make a statement "I'll take any corps other than corps A" where
corps A is a corps that was involved in Battle X.

> But more importantly, since as you say it will rarely make a
> difference which Austrian corps is which, what reason do you
> have _not_ to tell the rest of us ?

None at all, which is why I popped off the number after your reminder.
The reason I issued the challenge is because earlier your request for
corps numbers were based on the claim that knowing corps numbers would
help with determining minimum and maximum strength of various Austrian
(specifically) armies.  I don't believe that's true, but if it is true,
I'm interested to see an example of a case where knowing an Austrian
corps number, rather than just type, can provide any information
regarding the composition of any other force, anywhere else on the
board.  Because of that, I was simply confused as to why it was worth
raising in the first place.