Michael Gorman on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:16:35 -0600 (CST)

Re: Fw: [eia] Assault at Leipzig-French rolls

At 09:35 PM 11/22/2004, you wrote:
Wow, I got these back in record time!  Hopefully that means whatever was
wrong with my server is fixed!  The bad news is that the 4th Infantry corps
lost 2 I, 1C in that assault, leaving them with 1 Cav factor.  The Saxon
corps loses 2 factors (probably inf.) and the rest (2I, 2C) surrender and
become POW's.  France gains +1 PP.

I show that in round 1 we both lose one factor and France loses 1.8 morale while the Saxons lose 2.2 In round 2, the French lose one factor and the morale losses now total 3.2 for France and 2.5 for the Saxons
In round 3 the French lose one factor and both sides break.

So the Saxons lose one factor, the French 3 and both sides break.

The siege resolution section is kind of awkwardly written at this point. I can see Jim's reading that since he broke the Saxon corps he wins the battle and captures the city, that's what it says in 7.5.4.1.3.5 where it defines the besieger winning. However, in the political point allocation section, which is the very next rule, the besieger losing is defined based on the besieger breaking or being eliminated so the besieger has both won and lost.

While they do not make the comment about both breaking in the siege combat section, I think the ruling that in a both break situation neither sides wins and no political points are gained or lost should probably apply here as well as to field combats. Otherwise, we've both won the battle so the Saxons must surrender, but the siege must resume and we both gain a political point.

Mike