Joel Uckelman on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:10:02 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] reinforcement question

Thus spake "James Helle":
> I did not find anything in the rules that says definitely one way or the
> other.  But here is my take on the subject:  I assume that a "friendly
> corps' in this scenario is referring to a controlled corps of that major
> power.  My reasoning for this is that, regardless of physical depots on the
> map, I think all corps are assumed to be in some limited degree of supply.
> Otherwise corps too far from a depot would run out of ammunition and be
> unable to attack at all.  I think it is this degree of supply that allows a
> new military unit to be placed on the field and this type of reinforcement
> cannot come from another major powers supply line.  So, unless someone can
> dredge up a rule to the contrary I would vote that a new corps must be
> placed with "any friendly, _controlled_ corps".
>
> JRH

In case you want an online version of the rules, there's one here:

http://eia.xnetz.com/rules/eiarules-with-errata.html

Some examples of how inconsistently "friendly" is used in the rules:

5.2.2.2.3 specifically excludes allied depots from counting as friendly depots.

6.3.5.1 specifically includes allied ports as friendly ports.

If "friendly" in 6.2.5.1 doesn't include allies, then you can't embark by sea from a port controlled by one of your allies. I think we all agree that you can embark by sea from any port where you have a fleet and a corps, so here's a clear case of "friendly" implicitly including one's allies.

6.3.5.3 uses the phrase "friendly or with access permission" in reference to ports, which seems to imply that friendly here does not include allied.

7.4.1.1 lists circumstances in which foraging is mandatory, e.g. if a corps is "four or more areas from the nearest depot in a friendly valid supply chain", where friendly here must include allied, since you can draw supply from your allies' depots.

I'm inclined now to think that it's not permissible for me to place a corps at Corfu next month, but I can't say that the rules have been much help in sorting it out.

--
J.