Michael Gorman on Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:41:28 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Spanish Land Phase, January 1805

At 12:20 PM 10/4/2004, you wrote:
I must be really dense. Could someone please explain to me how a Spanish surrender would force anyone to break their alliance?

kdh
4.4.7 SEPARATE PEACE AND ALLIES: If a major power surrenders to some but remains at war with other major powers, a major power with which war continues may demand that an ally or allies that was a victor in the formal peace immediately break their alliance(s) with the major power still at war (and lose " -2" political points for breaking the alliance). For example, Russia and Austria are allies and are both at war with Prussia. Prussia surrenders to Austria, but not to Russia. The Russian player may demand that Austria break its alliance with Russia. An ally may also demand that an ally that concludes an informal peace with a common enemy break their alliance.

This is the relevant rule. Although looking it over, I'm not sure Russia can demand Spain break the alliance if it is Spain doing the surrendering. Since Spain would not be a victor in the formal peace process, I do not believe Russia could invoke this clause.

Mike