J.J. Young on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:56:34 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Anglo-Turkish naval phase, 10/05 (part II)

Yes.  I am saying that as soon as a fleet or fleets enters a sea space,
port, or blockade box, it automatically and immediately is stacked with any
other fleets of the same or combined powers that are already in that place.

If a stack of the phasing enemy is already in a sea space, port, or blockade
box, then if another of their fleets in intercepted in that place, it is
impossible not to also fight the fleets that were already there.  6.2.2 says
that all fleets of the same or combined powers must be one stack while in
the same place.

If Spain had other fleets in a position to intercept approaching enemy
fleets in the sea area outside the blockade box, then a separate
interception could take place.  Such an interception would only involve the
phasing enemy fleets in that adjacent sea space at that moment; and the
interception combat would take place in the sea zone, not the blockade box.

But since there are no Spanish fleets in position to do this, and since a
fleet in a blockade box can only intercept fleets that have entered the
blockade box, any interception combat in this case must take place in the
blockade box, and would involve fighting the whole stack of enemies already
there.

To sum up; Spain doesn't have any fleets placed so as to intercept in a sea
space outside the blockade box.  So the interception and interception combat
must take place in the blockade box.  This means that all British and
Turkish controlled fleets in the blockade box at the time of the
interception must be fought.

-JJY