Joel Uckelman on Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:44:27 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] computing setback

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> Thanks for the advice, Joel.  I have reinstalled Windows and things seem to
> be working, although I had to reformat my hard drive and lost all my saved
> files, bookmarks, and emails.

My second suggestion would have been to put your drive into another working
machine (or install Windows on a spare drive) and copy your files from it
before reformatting. Generally the only times you should lose data are when
your partition is corrupt or the drive itself fails. Just because you can't
boot to a drive, it doesn't follow that you can't still access it by booting
to some other drive.

http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/orders.php