J.J. Young on Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:19:04 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] access adjustments ?

> People seem very attached to the idea that access decisions must be in the
> political phase and must be escrowed so there has to be something we're
> gaining from this.  I just don't get it what it is.
>
> Mike

Mike makes some very good points, but I'm not sure I agree 100%.  First of
all, I was, and still am, I think, in favor of having access agreements in
the political phase because I consider them to be political decisions rather
than a military.  Legal access would be worked out between diplomats and
politicians; if a military commander took things into his own hands to cross
a border without sanction, this would be handled under the forced access
rules.

But on the other hand, wanting access agreements in the political phase
doesn't necessarily mean having them in the political phase _escrow_.  Why
don't we leave a 24-hour (or some other amount of time) grace period after
the political escrow is released, for anyone who wants to announce an access
change to do so ?  If you are worried that a change in access might change
your naval orders, you can wait until this period has elapsed.  Otherwise go
ahead.

Anyway, that's my proposal.

-JJY