Kyle H on Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:31:30 -0600 (CST)

[eia] stuff

    Hello all.  Sorry I've been away for a while.  This is the last week of
the quarter, and I've been swamped with grading.  I've been leaving the
house at 6 am and getting home at 8 pm every night this week and going to
bed soon thereafter.  Of course, I also felt like it would be good for my
own mental health to take a bit of a breather from the game, which was
getting me all wound up.
    In any case, I am quite surprised to find that Everett is no longer with
us.  I am sincerely saddened to see him go.  Despite our occasional
disagreements, he left me with no doubts about his skill as a strategy
gamer.
    Our previous game seemed to be at a crucial tipping point, and I can't
help but wonder how it would all have panned out in the end.  It's sad to
see a year and a half one's free time go up in smoke so quickly...  In fact,
I can't help but wonder how we can ensure that our next game doesn't suffer
the same fate.  Obviously, maintaining a civil and congenial tone in public
(and private) discussions is important.  I acknowledge (and apologize for)
my own lapses in this regard and will strive to keep my temper in check in
the future.  But aside from being nice to one another, how can we provide
people with incentives to stick with a game that they know they are going to
lose?  Does anyone have any ideas about this?  I, for one, am willing to
promise to faithfully play out my role even if I am convinced that I can no
longer win the game.  But is there anything we can do aside from relying on
each other's good will?  I'd be curious to hear if anyone has any ideas
about this.

    If someone has a reasonable amount of free time, it would be good if we
could compile all the House Rules (and rules interpretations) we have
adopted over the course of the last game.  One thing we still need to settle
is how to understand B.6.  Another thing we should decide is whether we are
still happy with repatriation at the end of a war or whether we want to try
(yet again) to revamp the limited access rules.  I think I've pretty much
given up on revising limited access, but I wanted to make sure that everyone
else is fine with repatriation, too.  (Hey, did we ever fix repatriation to
rule out JJ's arctic circle scenario?  I can't remember.)

kdh

P.S.  Welcome Nate!  I'm Kyle.  :-)