Michael Gorman on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:10:42 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] a question about trade

At 12:56 PM 3/21/2004 -0600, you wrote:
Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     Hmmm.  I'm not sure *what* to think about this any more.  Please put me
> back in the undecided column.  I reserve the right to weigh in at a later
> time if my opinion solidifies on one side or the other.
>
> So, so far we have JJ and Joel against GB having to roll for war, and Danny
> and Mike in favor of GB having to roll.  Any other opinions?
>
> kdh

Er. I'm confused now. I thought Mike was opposed to making GB roll.
I was because I forgot that condition B.6 was present and thought the reason for the roll was that Britain had occupied Madrid and thus was preventing all Spanish trade.

Looking at the optional rule, 12.9, the basis of the rule is that the War of 1812 was engineered and therefore the application of B.6 is counted as if Britain had chosen to stop trade. So the problem is that Spain is not allowed to trade because Madrid is occupied, but at the same time the restriction put into place to annoy America is also still in place. I would say that Spanish inability to trade does not remove the restriction placed by B.6 and therefore Britain still has to roll. The restriction is meaningless to Spain since Spain can't trade, but that does not make it meaningless to America who can trade.

On another note, for those of you who follow errata. I noted that in 8.2.1.2.1.5, it says that Russia can trade unless both capitals are occupied. Which means it could gain trade income even when it cannot gain tax income. Is this an error? If not, it's kind of odd.

Mike