Joel Uckelman on 7 Feb 2004 16:29:26 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] Battle of Florence, October 1807

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> I wish Everett and Joel could have entered their opinions about PPs for
> garrisons in a field combat before this point, so that it wouldn't look like
> Coalition aggrandizment if they agreed with my side.  But as I said, it
> wouldn't have affected my decision to have the Florence garrison in the
> battle.  In any case, though, the decision needs to be finalized
> immediately.
>
> -JJY

I see nothing in the rules that exclude a player with only a garrison
involved in a battle from receiving political points for a victory. The
relevant rule counts enemy corps, but puts no requirements on the victors.
On the other hand, if a player on the losing side had only a garrison in
the battle, he would lose no political points, because the wording on the
PP chart restricts the loss to only those powers with corps involved.

BTW, I seem to recall seeing an article in The General once that suggested
doing this very thing in order to score more PPs at no risk.

--
J.