Kyle H on 22 Nov 2003 17:04:15 -0000

Re: [eia] errata rules

    Now that I take a closer look at this rule, it only applies to forces
that find themselves in neutral territory due to ceding or reconquest.  So
the breaking of an alliance (nullifying the conditions for voluntary access)
would not be included in this rule, as it is written.  However, I think that
in the future this rule should be extended to situations where the lack of
an alliance makes voluntary access impossible.  (One might speculate that
this optional rule was written without taking optional rule 12.8 into
account.)
    Since combat has already begun between the Spanish and the Portuguese at
Gibralter, and since the British lingered so long in Spain before
withdrawing, perhaps it would be unfair to suddenly (and retroactively)
apply this rule to the current situation.  After giving it a second thought,
I think we should let the current situation play out as is, but we should
apply these errata rules to future situations involving the loss of
voluntary access.
    Or, alternatively, we could just scrap optional rule 12.8 altogether.
That might make more sense, and I would be in favor of it.  (At the
beginning of the game, I was in favor of using all of the optional rules,
mostly for the sake of completeness.  But, as we are not using 12.4, I no
longer feel compelled to keep 12.8 either, which seems kind of artificial
anyway.)
    Let me know what the rest of you think.

kdh