Kyle H on 7 Oct 2003 22:10:07 -0000

Re: [eia] limited access revisions

    Danny is right.  We are already putting the country who is leaving FET
at a disadvantage by saying that it cannot lay siege to enemy allies that
are still in FET.  Sometimes those enemy allies will just be remnants that
are not looking to continue the fight (as is the case right now with the
British in Spain).  But I can foresee other instances where the enemy allies
will very much want to continue the fight against a retreating enemy.
Allies of the former enemy will be able to bring new corps into FET, they
will be able to fully utilize their supply lines to get reinforcements after
battles, and (if my previous suggestion goes through) they will get
automatic protection inside cities as well.   Allowing allies of the former
enemy all of these privileges while withholding them from the country whose
forces are in the process of withdrawing from FET seems extraordinarily
one-sided to me.
    For example, suppose Russia had advanced further into Austria before
Austria surrendered.  Suppose there were a Russian army at Pest, supplied
from Nemirov.  Russia has been fighting Austria and Prussia together, but
now Austria surrenders and Russia remains at war with Prussia.  What JJ and
Joel are saying is that the remaining Prussian army should have the right to
pummel the retreating Russians month after month.  The Prussians would have
the right to bring in new corps, reinforce old ones, and even hide
automatically in Austrian cities.  But the Russians would just have to take
their losses without any hope of reinforcements until they reach the Russian
border.  That does not seem fair to me at all.
    As Ariel Sharon recently insisted, a country has a right to
self-defense!  If you deny corps that are withdrawing from enemy territory
the right to reinforce, that makes them easy targets for enemy allies.  This
suggestion makes enemy allies way too powerful, especially in combination
with my previous suggestion.  In fact, if JJ's position on reinforcements
carries the day, then I'll have no choice but to change my vote to "no" on
my own proposal.  If retreating armies aren't allowed to reinforce, then it
would be too unbalanced to allow enemy allies to hide in FET cities
automatically.

kdh