Danny Mount on 14 Sep 2003 22:06:39 -0000

[eia] Sea Supply

	Hi everyone.  Recently I've been trying to interpret the sea supply
rules in 7.4.3.1, particularly as they apply to reinforcing a minor country
corps.  7.4.3.1 says, "In order to trace supply across sea areas there must
be on of a major power's depots in each of the two friendly controlled ports
or port areas between which supply is to be traced.  At least one of these
ports must contain a fleet(s) of the major power and/or an ally and that
port must be a supply source or be able to trace a valid supply chain via
depots to a supply source."  This is the rule that we recently discovered
that we had been applying incorrectly.  What we discovered was that a fleet
must be in the port which is the supply source, not just any port.

    Keeping this rule in mind, I am wondering what has to happen in order to
receive Swedish reinforcements directly in my Swedish corps (which are
currently in Naples).  The relevant rule for this is 5.2.2.2.3.3 which
states, "Minor free states may receive their factors in the same way [i.e.,
by being on or next to a depot in a valid supply chain], but *must trace a
supply line (of their controlling major power) back to a supply source in
their minor country*."  This last line has me wondering whether the depot in
Sweden would have to have a fleet with it in order for my Swedish corps to
receive reinforcements.

    I have asked JJ about this, and he thinks that the Swedish port does
*not* need to have a fleet in it to satisfy these rules.  He believes that
the supply source for the purpose of sea supply could be in Spain while the
supply source in Sweden is just another depot in the chain.  I am happy with
that interpretation, but I just want to make sure that everyone else sees
the rules the same way.  Basically, I just want to make sure that no one is
going to tell me later on that I can't do what I thought I could do.  So if
anyone sees these rules differently (and believes that I *would* need a
fleet in a Swedish port in order to receive reinforcements), please speak
now or forever hold your peace.

Danny