J.J. Young on 8 Sep 2003 02:35:58 -0000

[eia] Diplomacy step: the Spanish-Ottoman War

To the crowned heads and ministers of Europe, from Viscount Castlereagh, representing His Majesty's Government of Great Britain.

A Statement of Policy Regarding the Spanish-Ottoman War

     We here in London have deliberated long and hard on how best to bring an end to the most regrettable war between our Spanish and Turkish allies.  Having received no response to our requests that the two nations begin peace negotiations, the Cabinet has now come to decision on how best to act in this matter.
     Beginning in June of 1807, Great Britain will institute an embargo of all domestic trade with the two belligerents, to last until a settlement of peace is reached between the Kingdom of Spain and the Ottoman Empire.  Of course, if such a peace can be concluded immediately, the embargo need never be instituted.  We hope that this be the result of our Government's declaration.
     Great Britain does not interest itself in the terms of a peace settlement, only in its accomplishment; no objections will be made in London over any agreement the two powers can reach.  This wasteful, devisive war threatens the interests of both Great Britain and the Coalition, and must be brought to an end.

-His Lordship, the Viscount Castlereagh,
Foreign Secretary