Michael Gorman on 14 Aug 2003 19:03:54 -0000

[eia] Delays

I think people are going to have to realize that we're going to be moving back to the rate that we covered the first game year as nations go back to war. The last year and a half of the game have sailed by as everyone was at peace and people were willing to go ahead in the order and not care if people after them knew their moves.

The Turkish and Spanish turns have already grown longer as they've been running a few land battles every turn, but with Russia, France, Prussia and possibly others now going to war as well, the game will slow down. People won't be willing to go ahead in the order when the nations they're at war with are after them and in many cases it won't be possible to go ahead. And if one person is delayed for a day or two in answering something, everyone will be delayed. These delays have been happening all the time in the last game year, but we didn't notice them since no one waited for the person to take their turn, we just jumped ahead and they went near the end of a phase rather than in the beginning.

The following potentially slow steps remain
Spain calls allies
Those called answer
Prussia calls allies
Those called answer
If either Spain or Prussia call allies then France and/or Russia may call allies

Since Kyle and I can only call each other, we're going to bury our step in the escrow, but we probably won't be answering the escrow until after all the other steps are taken so we have the potential to be rate determining.

This is going to be a long political phase, followed by a land phase chock full of military goodness. Sorry guys, but the breaks just got hit and we're going to be moving into low gear until things settle again.

Mike